They say
that when you get stuck in a dead-end street or lose direction, you should go
back to square one and start over again. This applies to navigating actual
roads but also to life in general, and I have always thought this a very sound
advice.
Going
abroad, I managed to continue working remotely in my old job. While everyone in
my team is very supportive and the arrangement is pretty great, the remote circumstances
sometimes put a damper on my work satisfaction. Lately, I have been thinking
hard about my future professional life. And here the mentioned advice came into
the picture. Having my professional roots in translation and sometimes missing
this work during the years in the corporate world I threw out the net for
available options.
Lucky
bastard that I sometimes am, a chance opened up and I managed to land a
translation contract with a publishing house that plans its programme way ahead
and can therefore give its translators generous deadlines. On top of that, the
books are on the slim side and manageable even with a daily office job.
After doing
a sample translation to prove that I still have what it takes – I hadn’t worked
as a translator for almost ten years – the editor seemed happy to have me on
board and I started working on my book in July.
Boy, does
it feel good to be back! After a slightly rusty start I am now enjoying
transferring the emotional adventures of my romantic novel’s heroine into
German. It is a wonderful addition to my slightly prosaic day job that - thanks
to my moonlighting after-office hours – does not appear so prosaic anymore.
I didn’t
really go back to square one and start over from scratch, but returned to my
roots and managed to bring back the best part into the present. Sometimes, the
secret is in the right mix. At least try it if you are stuck in a rut. Who says
you should never look back? It worked out very well for me.
I'll keep you posted.
I'll keep you posted.

No comments:
Post a Comment