I was surprised by this friendly gesture and at the same time frustrated because we are only temporary renters and this neighbourly effort will be nipped in the butt once we move on to our final home.
But Viktor didn’t seem to mind his lost investment but added even more friendliness to the count. He asked if we had internet access and when he heard that we used one of those mobile sticks, he offered us access to his Wifi connection.
In he came – but only after carefully wiping his shoes so he wouldn’t dirty the carpet – and wrote down the password for his router. Just like that.
So there’s only one question left to ask: What is going on here? What happened to the majority of grumpy, yes, punctual, but also miserable and ever so serious Germans? Have they been assimilated by an alien, yet friendly life form from outer space?
Because Victor is no isolated case. Since coming back to Germany at the beginning of the year I keep bumping into so many good-humoured, relaxed, courteous and sympathetic people that it’s getting scary. The lady at the bakery wished me a nice day, the taxi driver struck up an interesting conversation, the guy at the car dealership cracked a good joke, and the waitress in the café the other day actually seemed to like her job.
Has Germany fundamentally changed during the last six years while I was away? Or does everyone here only appear super nice because I am comparing people with the often sullen and slightly haughty porteños in Buenos Aires?
Well, one thing is for sure. This episode showed me that I definitely picked up a bad habit during my time in South America. I have become very suspicious. When Viktor told me his story and then entered the flat to write down the password a little voice at the back of my head whispered: “He probably doesn’t live here and is going to rob you any minute.” Hm, perhaps it is a good thing I came back to Germany so I can stock up again on this "new" positive attitude.
I will keep you posted.
No comments:
Post a Comment