01 January 2014

Listo, beso, chau - Goodbye, Buenos Aires!

First of January – the start of a new year. For me, this day also marks the start of yet another phase in my life. It is my last day in Buenos Aires, and for the time being, my last day on the expat circuit. I am sitting in board of the Lufthansa flight 510 that will take my husband and me back to Germany. Back home.

Everybody I talked to recently said: “Oh, you must be thrilled going home and leaving this chaotic place.” And I had to reply: “Hm, I am not so sure … yes and no.” Of course, there are tons of good reasons for being happy about going back. Things are more organized in Germany, you don’t have to worry about electricity or water supply, people speak my language, the bread variety is to die for … and most importantly I will be closer to my lifelong friends and my family. 

But in spite of all those good reasons, my heart is taking its sweet time catching up. I am sad to leave Buenos Aires and the friends I have made in this crazy place. And I liked living abroad and seeing things done differently – or just from a different perspective. I learned a lot during the past six years, first in Barcelona and then in Argentina. I broadened my horizon and changed – and I will try to take all this with me to my hopefully new old life in Germany.

So this LH 510 is not only carrying our mountain of suitcases but a huge bag full of mixed memories, sadness and tears, hopes and resolutions for the future, fears and uncertainties … and the sneaking suspicion that we will be back to Buenos Aires sooner than we think.

Goodbye, Buenos Aires. Take good care of yourself and the people that are now in our thoughts and hearts. Cuídate … y nos vemos.

Un abrazo!


No comments:

Post a Comment