07 January 2014

Adventure Germany


When going abroad expats often receive an intercultural training to learn about their new living environment and how not to alienate everybody they meet. The other day I heard that these courses also exist for so-called inpats who return from their foreign assignment. I had to giggle at the thought and asked myself: “How hard can it be coming back home?”

After the first couple of days I would like to take that back. We have only been away for six years and travelled to Germany regularly during that time, so I cannot really speak of a culture shock. But still, this country has changed a lot. Or perhaps I have.

Let’s take the garbage disposal. Germany has always been a role model when it comes to recycling which usually drove our expat friends nuts – or at least caused some furiously raised eyebrows.

But I grew up with it and the concept was so deeply rooted in my system that I used to smuggle the plastic bottles in Barcelona past our caretaker Juan and carried them to the recycling bins at the street corner because I had the sneaking suspicion that he just threw them out with the regular garbage. In Buenos Aires, I diligently separated paper, plastic bottles and glass, only to have our cleaning lady stuff everything in one big plastic bag. I just didn’t have the energy to argue with her.

But perhaps this was the final warning sign that I was giving in to the dark side and that it was high time that I came back to the country where recycling has been turned into an art form or philosophy, depending on the perspective. And boy, do I need a refresher course, perhaps by an intercultural coach who will patiently explain what goes in which bin.

We are renting a temporary flat in Wiesbaden until we find a permanent place and our things arrive from Argentina. Behind the house I found a flotilla of trash containers. One for paper, one for glass, one for plastics – that’s quite easy to determine – then another one for bio-degradables and one for the rest. Hm, is soggy kitchen paper biowaste or does it belong in the paper bin? Do I have do separate the bottom of the joghurt container made of cardboard from the plastic sideparts. And what shall I do with the leftover joghurt? Is that bio??

Knowing that the Germans, and especially the German garbage collectors and inspectors – yes, the latter exist – really mean business, it is only a question of time until I am found out and shot at dawn. But this is only a fair punishment for my laughing at the above-mentioned expat friends. And I would also like to take back the “How hard can it be separating the garbage” that I might have asked you about six or seven years ago. I hear you now.

And I will of course keep you posted.

1 comment: