Our stay in
Argentina always came with an expiry date and we were supposed to leave again
after three years. Then, some months ago, we were asked to stay a year longer
until the end of 2014. We thought about it and then said yes.
Now, the
company that sent us here is being restructured and the husband’s position will
become obsolete. Luckily, he has been offered a new position at headquarters
and a good career move to boot. So at the end of the year we are moving back to
Germany.
I would
have never thought it possible – and had I actually taken a bet on it I would
lose big time now – but I am kind of sad to go. There, I said it, and you can
all laugh at me. But it is true.
While my
feelings for Buenos Aires were far from love at first sight and I had a tough
time settling in, I finally came to terms with my life here at some point and
learned to see the positive side.
Don’t get
me wrong. I don’t want to stay in Argentina forever. But I would have loved to
stay longer and enjoy this peaceful truce I had finally made with Buenos Aires.
I would have liked to take more of those good feelings and encounters with me
that I have experienced lately. Because this is what living in a foreign
country is all about … or should be.
My inner
bitch feels cheated and is hollering: “Really??? I have struggled so hard and
now that I finally started to have fun in this place I have to move on? You
must be joking!”
But then my
inner guru shuts her up by saying: “So it took you longer to settle in this
time? Well, shit happens. You had some good times and met wonderful people
along the way, and this will stay with you forever. So stop whining!”
Of course,
my inner guru is right. So that’s what I will do. I will stop whining and try
to make the most of the rest of our time on this side of the globe.
I will keep you posted.
No comments:
Post a Comment