Last Tuesday it was my birthday, and since the husband wasn’t here to entertain me I had to take care of that myself. I decided to take a day off from work and treat myself to a girlie day. Since I am usually not the girlie type, it took some thinking effort on my side but I finally came up with a good game plan.
First thing, I went out for breakfast to one of the little Cafes in Martinez, the neighbourhood where we live. I thought „Nomen est omen“ and picked the Glück Cafe, which translates to Luck Cafe in English. Besides, they always advertise for their breakfast and brunch and the German name kind of raised my curiousity. Well, I ended up with tea, orange juice and 2 Medialuna (a sweet, sticky pastry that resembles the Croissant without being crumbly). I could have gone wild and chosen an omlette but I don’t like those – so we have to keep looking for a place with a real breakfast or brunch offer.
All this hard work left me pretty hungry so I went to Sudestada, a nice and laidback restaurant in the area for some asian fare and a nice glass of wine. To work of the calories I walked over to Palermo Viejo, another trendy barrio of Buenos Aires, to check out the numerous shops and boutiques. On weekends they also have a little crafts market in Plaza Cortazar a.k.a. Serrano and the streets are hopping, but during the week it was more peaceful.
From Palermo I walked down to the next item on my agenda that was also worthy of a proper girlie day: a visit to the Evita Museum. An absolute must for the true fans and a nice diversion for the rest. It is situated in a little mansion that served as a shelter for homeless women and financed by the Fundacion Eva Perón. You can either walk through with a headset that gives you information at different stations in the museum or you can read the explanations on the walls offered in Spanish and English. In between, you can look at original dresses, shoes and other items worn by Evita and just soak up the atmosphere of worship and aroma candles.
After that I was ready for some tea and took a taxi to the Alvear Palace – a thing that Evita would have approved of because she also went there on a regular basis for her High Tea. Usually it is recommended to make reservations, but I was lucky and had no problems getting a table in the beautiful conservatory. And I was also lucky enough to witness the usual clientele of this instituation: A group of elderly ladies who sat at a nearby table, decked out in full splendour (elegant costumes, nice jewellery and of course the hats) and enjoying their High Tea. And High Tea it is at the Alvear Palace.
Little buns with delicious fillings, cucumber sandwiches, small cakes and pastries and, last but not least, scones with marmelade. With that came, of course endless tea and a glass ob bubbly which the Maitre de Plaisir kept filling up generously as well. Oh, what a bliss.
When I thought I couldn’t eat any more they came by with a huge cake cart filled with Cheese Cake and other sugary concoctions. And they offered to put my choice in a doggy bag so I could take it home and enjoy the next day. Which I thankfully accepted.
I couldn’t believe my eyes when at the end the waiter came by with two bowls filled to the brink with truffles. Did they think I really needed one for the road in case I got withdrawal symptoms on my way home? Or were they just doing this experiment to see how high they could send their customers’ blood sugar level without them turning into a sugar cane? Well, I declined, picked up my little doggy bag and took a taxi home where I was too full to even think about Sushi Takeaway (the original plan for dinner), changed into comfy clothes and watched Pirates of the Carribean Part 2 in preparation for the fourth part now playing at the theatres.
All in all, I have to say that this day was a big success and that I can really recommend the concept. One full day of doing only what you want ... something I will keep in mind in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment