11 June 2012

Travel notes - Amsterdam


Lucky me – the visit to Germany included a trip to Amsterdam with a colleague. Even more lucky was the fact that the conference we attended took place on a Thursday and Friday so I had the chance to stay a night longer and do some sightseeing. I had been in Amsterdam once before a few years ago so I wasn’t feeling the usual pressure to “see it all” and it was just the perfect setting for a relaxed stopover.

And “relaxed” is the predominant word that comes to my mind when I think of the Grachten City. Perhaps it’s because of the constant sweetish smoke that wafts through the streets, perhaps there is something in the water or perhaps it was just me – but everyone was so relaxed and energetic at the same time, so good-humoured, friendly and upbeat, it was a really nice change.

The other adjectives to describe Amsterdam are, of course, “pretty” and “quaint” and “fascinating” and “full of interesting things to see”. After taking a one-hour boat tour around the Grachten with my colleague one evening after the conference, I opted for a solitary and self-directed walking tour on Friday evening and Saturday. Especially the Grachtenring west of the city centre with the labyrinth of small, cobblestoned streets, bridges and canals around Prinsen-, Herren- and Keizersgracht offered plenty of photo opportunities. I could have strolled around for hours watching the scenery.

On Friday evening, little boats floated by with couples taking a romantic Amsterdam-style stroll along the city’s waterways. But more often the small boats chucked along under the weight of numerous partygoers, having a drink and a snack while being steered to the next party location by the designated captain.

Less leisurely and a bit more dangerous were the Holland bikes which kept zipping by from all directions so I had to remind myself more than once to carefully check where I was going. Hard to imagine when you see some of the bikes with their decorative flower garlands or big baskets that would transport anything from groceries to full-grown Labrador dogs.  But they can really pick up speed!

A visit to the van Gogh Museum rounded off the programme for the weekend and then it was time to drive out to the airport. Not only because my flight was leaving but because the city was getting ready for a football match between The Netherlands and Ireland. Everywhere, fans in orange garb were gathering, screens for public viewing were erected and the bars and pubs were decorating for game night. I am not a big soccer fan …


But I will definitely go back, even if it’s only to get another shot at those Pannekoeken.

No comments:

Post a Comment